Friday, May 22, 2009

Live Media GPS

Thanks to @gannotti on Twitter for introducing me to a new idea (well, new to me) – geocasting. Geocasting is exactly what it sounds like – live (or recorded) broadcasting that is done using a client that utilizes your GPS to also record your location automatically. For me, this heads even further into the realm of things that when I was growing up I though were the realm of Star Trek – you know, “Captains Log, stardate 0905.22, location somewhere in space…” where the tricorder would notate your location automatically – so that when cadets years later were duplicating the experience on a Holodeck, they’d have exact details. :

Anyway, there were a number of points in the last few months where this would’ve been really useful to me – especially when on field trips with my daughter’s third-grade class. It would’ve been really cool to be able to record waypoints on their adventure to Mt. St. Helens and then plot them on a map.

I’m going to play with this over the next few weeks using my Windows Mobile phone – if it works as cool as it appears it will, I’ll use it on her next field trip in early June.

Live Media GPS

No comments:

Post a Comment